Sunday 20 November 2011

Deepawali: A Festival Celebrated at the Cost of Lost Childhood in Fire Cracker Factories


Deepawali is one of the most eagerly awaited festivals in India. People make numerous plans to celebrate it with great pomp and show. Children in particular look forward to burn fire crackers, wearing new dresses. Their parents make it a point that they buy enough fire crackers for their children, which can last for at least 3-4 days.

When I was small, I too loved to burn as many fire crackers as possible. I always counted the number of crackers given to me and that to my sister to see whether I got an equal number of fire crackers or not. However, as I grew up, I came to know the cruel story behind all that brightness and sound of fire crackers. It was alarming to know that children of my age were made to work in fire cracker factories for countless number of hours.

Poverty and parental negligence compelled numerous children in the age group of 10-16 years to work in a hazardous place like a fire cracker factory. As the process of making fire crackers involves dangerous raw materials and tec [...]



Submit your suggestion / comments / complaints / Takedown request on lookyp.com@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts